Friday, July 23, 2010

Review: Cibo Trattoria

Review: Cibo Trattoria: "
Copyright © 2010 hoyummy.com. Visit the original article at http://www.hoyummy.com/2010/07/21/review-cibo-trattoria/.
I had been wanting to go to Cibo Trattoria for quite a long time. The price range is such that I need to find a special occasion to justify going so it took me a while to find a good reason. :) I was talking to Grick and realized that it had been quite a while since we had gone out for a family dinner. In addition, I had been out of town during Mother’s Day so we decided to roll two in one by having a super belated Mother’s Day dinner at Cibo Trattoria. :)

Cibo Trattoria

Shortly after we ordered, we were presented with some complimentary focaccia bread. There were two choices, one with herbs and another with cheese. It appeared to be freshly made and was still warm. The bread was quite light and I especially liked the cheese version, which had a slightly crispy topping.

Cibo Trattoria

For my appetizer, I decided to have one of the daily specials, which was bruschetta with fresh morrels, a poached egg, and parmesan cheese. The bread was crispy and provided a great base for the flavourful morrels. The poached egg provided a nice creaminess and richness to the bruschetta.

Cibo Trattoria

My grandma decided to have the 3-course special, which came first with a spring salad that had pears, parmesan, and a fruity balsamic vinaigrette. The pears provided a slight sweetness to the salad and everything was quite fresh.

Cibo Trattoria

For my main course, I decided to have the pasta of the day, which was freshly made tagliatelle with a pork bolognese sauce. The pasta was about as al dente as you can get with fresh pasta but I found the bolognese sauce a little too salty for my taste. I’m not sure if all the pasta at Cibo is a bit on the salty side though because Snoopy also found her pasta dish to be too salty and she even mentioned that she likes her food on the salty side. She ended up sending the pasta back and Cibo was nice enough to take it off the bill for us. Since the pasta serves as a primo course at Cibo, it was a little small but since I wanted to save room for dessert that day, it was the perfect size for me.

Cibo Trattoria

Jenkins also ordered the 3-course special and his main course was the roast pork. It came on a bed of lentils, which made this dish quite hearty and filling. The roast pork was perfectly made and the skin was slightly crispy while the inside was nice and juicy. My grandma had the same thing and although she noted that she liked Chinese roast pork more, she still enjoyed it. I also think that she’s a bit biased when it comes to things like this. :)

Cibo Trattoria

For dessert, Jenkins and I decided to share our desserts. The coffee panna cotta was quite light and had just a hint of coffee flavour, which I think went well with the sweet crumbled amaretto biscuits on top. I don’t know if it was my imagination, but I felt like I could also taste a hint of caramel in the panna cotta, which was a nice balance to the coffee.

Cibo Trattoria

The chocolate nemesis cake was definitely my favourite dish of the evening. It came with a side of creme fraiche that added a hint of tartness to the rich chocolate dessert. The chocolate flavour was very evident in the cake and if you’re a chocolate lover, this is definitely the dessert for you! Snoopy noted that she enjoyed the torte so much that she didn’t even need the creme fraiche.

Cibo Trattoria

We all had quite a good time at Cibo Trattoria. The service was great and the room was smaller than I expected but the ambiance was quite nice. I definitely enjoyed the appetizers and dessert more than the mains but this could have just been due to the choice I made for my main course. I wouldn’t mind coming back to try some of the other dishes here so I guess I’ll just need to find another excuse to celebrate a special occasion.

Details:

900 Seymour Street, Vancouver

Tel: 604-602-9570

Summary:

Food: 3 out of 5 stars

Service: 3 out of 5 stars

Price: $$

Cibo Trattoria on Urbanspoon


"

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home